Monday, June 1, 2015

early 2000s to 2009

My periods used to be regular when they first started ... about 30 days and typically 7 days long, with the first day heavy spotting, then 2nd and 3rd day heavy, and the blood would taper off for the next few days.

They started going a little irregular in early 2000s when I was in JC. No longer 30 days, they would fluctuate between 3 weeks to 5 weeks. If 3 weeks, period would be lighter; 5 weeks, period much heavier.

In a regular cycle, I would typically require to change a tampon (heavy flow) plus pad every 3 to 4 hours, during days 2 and 3. If it's very heavy, the tampon and pad would be soaked within 2 hours, worst cases about 1. And along with the heavy flow would be cramps.

By 2006, my "periods" would last between 2 to 7 weeks. Time when it was 2 weeks long, I would have 7-day long spotting, instead of a 7-day long period. But the spotting would turn erratic too, and the previously bloody discharge became black sticky discharge. Sometime in 2006, I was spotting continuously for about 3 weeks and there was no sign of it stopping. Went to my GP, who sent me for a BT. Results came back showing that I had low levels of progesterone. She prescribed me some progesterone tablets to stop the spotting, and also referred me to a gynae.

Went to the gynae, did a pelvic US. Conclusion I was normal. If I wanted regular periods, I should start taking contraceptive pills to regulate them.

Started TCM, and it helped. I went to 李睿 (who had a clinic in Bukit Batok) for about 2 years till 2008. Even though it improved my constitution and my periods were finally regular, I wasn't able to continue seeing her - I had to see her twice a week so that she's able to customise my medicine, plus acupuncture. Frankly, the waiting time was usually bearable, about half hour, but the travelling and the regular sessions took a toll on me.

Within a year, in 2009, my periods were irregular again. This time round I went to the polyclinic and obtain another referral to a gynae. Again, did a pelvic US only and concluded that I was normal, and similar to the previous one in 2006, I should start taking contraceptive pills to regulate. Which I didn't heed.

No comments:

Post a Comment